Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login

I saw that! And it was helpful to me getting started, thanks.

I wanted to generate types from the protocol file rather than generate them at run-time, so that was the first thing I did. I think it helps debuggability/autocompletability/readability to have the types reified; check it out if you're interested, all the capital-letter-named files are generated.




It's a few-line change to output the AST to code via astor (it's actually part of how I got everything working in the first place). You get full executable code with docstrings an everything, though no support for generating inline comments (I think that changed in 3.6, IIRC).

Would you be interested in a patch that does something like that? It should be a heck of a lot more robust then what you're currently doing (which is manual code generation?).

------

Also, if you're interested in doing things with the debug protocol, https://github.com/ChromeDevTools/devtools-protocol/issues/6 might be relevant.

It's an issue about how there's no good way to determine the remote debug interface version, since the version information that's present never changes, and they keep moving functions.


Definitely!

And yeah the ad hoc protocol thing is... suboptimal


I put together a caching system so the generated wrapper is made available for overview/manual-patching, etc.... It currently validates the generated file against a generated-from-the-json file at import, and falls back to blindly importing the json file if the tooling to generate the class definition is not available.

Ideally, any patching for the class file should really be done as a subclass, as well as any more complex logic. That way, if the protocol json file is changed, it can be just updated without breaking anything.

Anyways, generated class is here: https://github.com/fake-name/ChromeController/blob/master/Ch...

Oh, as an aside, you're actually missing a significant chunk of the protocol json file, mainly because there are actually two of them. There's a `browser_protocol.json` AND a `browser_protocol.json` file. They're both produced as build artifacts, so I can't point to them in the source, but the total json size should be > 800KB (mirror in chromecontroller: https://github.com/fake-name/ChromeController/tree/master/Ch... ).

As it is, this should kind of just splat into your source tree, but I don't want to move everything around without at least asking you how you want things structured.


ATM I haven't dealt with structure yet, just dumped it into a dir. I'll get a chance to take a look this weekend, many thanks!




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: