Then I started on a python library that would handle communication with chrome in a real way using asyncio: https://twitter.com/llimllib/status/855433309375082496
If that's a thing that you're interested in, let me know. https://github.com/llimllib/chrome-control/tree/wstest
It works by reading the interface descripton JSON files, and dynamically generating the API.
It doesn't handle the higher-level stuff (async, etc...), but for synchronous things, it's quite nice.
As an aside, if you're interested in this sort of thing, the chrome devtools protocol has a issue tracker here: https://github.com/ChromeDevTools/devtools-protocol/issues
Yes, it's on github, no idea why, when they already have their monorail issue tracker.
Monowall is kind of poor. The inability to edit comments is particularly annoying.
I wanted to generate types from the protocol file rather than generate them at run-time, so that was the first thing I did. I think it helps debuggability/autocompletability/readability to have the types reified; check it out if you're interested, all the capital-letter-named files are generated.
Would you be interested in a patch that does something like that? It should be a heck of a lot more robust then what you're currently doing (which is manual code generation?).
Also, if you're interested in doing things with the debug protocol, https://github.com/ChromeDevTools/devtools-protocol/issues/6 might be relevant.
It's an issue about how there's no good way to determine the remote debug interface version, since the version information that's present never changes, and they keep moving functions.
And yeah the ad hoc protocol thing is... suboptimal
Ideally, any patching for the class file should really be done as a subclass, as well as any more complex logic. That way, if the protocol json file is changed, it can be just updated without breaking anything.
Anyways, generated class is here: https://github.com/fake-name/ChromeController/blob/master/Ch...
Oh, as an aside, you're actually missing a significant chunk of the protocol json file, mainly because there are actually two of them. There's a `browser_protocol.json` AND a `browser_protocol.json` file. They're both produced as build artifacts, so I can't point to them in the source, but the total json size should be > 800KB (mirror in chromecontroller: https://github.com/fake-name/ChromeController/tree/master/Ch... ).
As it is, this should kind of just splat into your source tree, but I don't want to move everything around without at least asking you how you want things structured.