Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login

I ran it and it gives an awful lot of "[None]":

    $ ~/d/bloaty/bloaty builder/virt-builder -d compileunits
         VM SIZE                            FILE SIZE
     --------------                      --------------
      75.5%  1.96Mi [None]                3.67Mi  85.2%
       8.7%   232Ki guestfs-c-actions.c    232Ki   5.3%
       8.2%   219Ki guestfs.ml             219Ki   5.0%
       2.0%  52.4Ki [Other]               52.4Ki   1.2%
       1.3%  33.7Ki _none_                33.7Ki   0.8%
       0.7%  17.5Ki customize_cmdline.ml  17.5Ki   0.4%
       0.6%  17.3Ki builder.ml            17.3Ki   0.4%
       0.4%  11.8Ki customize_run.ml      11.8Ki   0.3%
       0.4%  10.4Ki cmdline.ml            10.4Ki   0.2%
       0.3%  7.08Ki firstboot.ml          7.08Ki   0.2%
       0.2%  6.21Ki index-scan.c          6.21Ki   0.1%
       0.2%  5.90Ki index_parser.ml       5.90Ki   0.1%
       0.2%  5.15Ki sigchecker.ml         5.15Ki   0.1%
       0.2%  4.87Ki getopt-c.c            4.87Ki   0.1%
    [...]
It's a mixed OCaml/C executable, but I ran it on a build from the local directory and all debug symbols are still available.

Edit: The README mentions this may be caused by incompletely parsed `.debug_aranges'.




Author here. The quality of the reports that use debug info (like "compileunits") is entirely dependent on how complete said debug information is. There may be ways of mining the debug info more completely, to compensate for this. Theoretically .debug_aranges should be all we need for this report, but we could supplement this with info in other sections.




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: