Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login

For our application it didn't seem like overkill. We thought it was would be the sweet spot for Rx. We pulled realtime data from a couple different sources, merged/aligned them, did some physics calculations, deposited the results in a couple of different destinations, and handled time travel/replay issues if we got out of order data.

But we kept on running into subtle issues because when we wrote the code we didn't fully grok scheduling/threading. It took us 3 months of spending 30%-50% of our time writing reactive extensions code to finally grok it, and we were highly motivated to learn. We eventually realized there was just no way the next developer who came on board could troubleshoot or debug it. So we ripped out all the reactive extension code and our app became a little less performant but a heck of lot more readable and maintainable.




Applications are open for YC Winter 2018

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | DMCA | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: