Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login
[dupe] Getting Started with Webpack 2 (madewithenvy.com)
28 points by sztwiorok 438 days ago | hide | past | web | favorite | 4 comments



> However, since its release it’s evolved into a manager of all your front-end code (either intentionally or by the community’s will).

This pops up everywhere in JS-land. Someone writes a small tool that does one thing well, and all of a sudden there is some barf-sandwich plugin system with 300k unmaintained plugins and documentation scattered across readmes, wikis, and blog posts. It ends up sucking all of your energy, because it never does 100% of what you want, but it gets to a good 70% before you install some other tool that does the remaining 30% and because it doesn't play nice with everything else it breaks the former. It's exhausting.

IMO, this is what happens when you take the unix philosophy too far. Maybe sometimes a monolith that solves multiple cross-cutting concerns is warranted. I mean, if all the community wants to do with your small tool that does one thing well is to take it and turn it into a shitty underdesigned monolith, why not just plan on it being a monolith from the beginning?


If you build a monolith from the beginning, no one will use it because it's "too opinionated".


Previous discussion [1].

    Getting Started with Webpack 2 (madewithenvy.com)
    98 points by gregorymichael 2 days ago
[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12851864


Wow - this comes at a perfect time for me as I'm just learning about Webpack. Thank you!




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | DMCA | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: