The foundations of computational neroscience - and lots of practial demonstrations of how your eyes and brain work.
- Daniel Dennett "Consciousness Explained"
How the mind works?
- J.E Gordon: "The new Science of Strog Materials" & " Structures, or why things don't fall down."
How is 'stuff' strong/hard?
- Steve Grand: "Creation" & "Growing up with Lucy"
The programmer behind the game 'Creatures' and his adventures in artificial life.
- Joseph Campbell: "The Hero with a Thousand Faces"
Never look at Star Wars in the same way again.
- David Deutch: "The Fabric of Reality"
Many worlds or mad as a box of frogs?
- Richard Leakey & Roger Lewin: "The Sixth Extinction"
We're doomed - maybe
- Braitenberg: "Vehicles"
Emergent behaviour from simple rules
- Ian Wilmut, Keith Cambell & Colin Tudge: "The Second Creation"
How Dolly the Sheep was made. Takes you through the background such that you can read & understand their paper which appears at the end.
- John Brunner: "The Shockwaver Rider"
Snowcrash - hah! - 1975 and this dude got it already.
Other general authors:
Martin Gardner, Greg Egan (lots of free stuff on his site).
Edit: Sorry, it's probably just a formatting problem and you were referring to The Shockwave Rider.