Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

The TL;DR is that the "file" utility was miscategorising files that had "Tue" in the first few bytes of a file as an Erlang JAM file, with knock on effects for PostScript files generates with a header comment with Tue in the date.



The circumstances under which I discovered/reported the bug were totally coincidental too. I noticed a friend use the file command and thought to myself "Hmm I've never actually used that command before. Let me try it out." Ran it on a TODO list text file I had lying around, scratched my head over the "Erlang JAM file" output, and went from there.


Because it was trying to identify that type of file by looking for a particular full date string (bizarre in itself) and the wrong syntax was used to specify the string (unescaped spaces).




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: