We figured that inputs to the search was from a static range, i.e. these players, those games, that league, this type of incident (foul, goal, celebration, etc).
Then we pre-calculated all possible combinations and fired them through what we called a "cache cannon".
Even for something like a search engine, unless you're doing full text search over a very wide corpus, you can look at pre-populating a cache and that cache actually being stored on your web servers and being directly addressable.
The design above, allowed that search engine to work over the weekend peak of 2 million users. That's where it shone... we just did not have to worry about the thundering herd with a pre-populated cache.